Monday, January 12, 2009

Organizing the Papers: Categorize and Clip

task clips: file, do, read, send

Papers related to tasks we need to do often get placed in folders (with appropriate labels) in a desktop file (like this or this), or they get placed in a tickler file. But if neither of those options appeals to you, maybe you'd like these task clips. You can also get clips with timing (now, tomorrow, this week, someday) or importance (urgent, important, trivial, can wait).


task clips: mail, pay, fax, urgent, call, send

Another option would be these clips from Decor Craft Inc.


action organizing clips: urgent, pay, file, review

And then there are these action organizing clips from Mateo Ilasco; the company also has number organizing clips. [via Apartment Therapy]


days of the week peg clips

Or maybe you'd rather organize by days of the week, with these clips from SuzyJack. [via Apartment Therapy]


binder clips with labels

You could also use the Pendaflex PileSmart binder label clips to add your own action items, priorities, or due dates. [widely available; photo from this online office supply store]

And, of course, it would be easy enough to make your own customized clips, using basic binder clips and either a label maker or a paint pen. [via Lifehacker]

Note: I've just heard from the Los Angeles Organizing Awards I'm a finalist in the category of best organizing web site/blog. Thank you to everyone who voted for me. I'll be attending the awards ceremony on January 30, where the winner will be announced.

10 comments:

SueBK said...

I'm not sure what you call those clips at the top of the page, but here they're called "bulldog clips" (haven't a clue why really). I found out just recently that a friend calls them a "Dwarf's Purse". (Hold them by the silver clips, with the black bit hanging down - they do look like a purse.)
Now every time I see one I smile. Maybe I should incorporate some of these into my organising so I can smile a little more each day.

Janine Adams said...

Congratulations on being a finalist in the LA Organizing Awards, Jeri! Much deserved. Have a great time at the ceremony.

Jeri Dansky said...

Thank you, Janine!

SueBK, what we call a bulldog clip is something a bit different - and Wikipedia indicates it's actually a brand name. (You got me curious enough to look it up.)

We call that first kind a binder clip. Wikipedia says that in the U.K. both this kind and the kind mentioned above are called bulldog clips - so it seems Australia and the U.K. agree on this one.

And smiling more each day can't be anything but good.

Michele said...

Great find! I have a friend who struggles with paperwork that might like these.

Jeri Dansky said...

Michele, that's great to hear.

Cynthia Friedlob said...

I love these clips!

I think (I hope) they'll help me keep my relentlessly annoying paperwork better organized. So simple to have a bunch of papers clipped together rather than hidden in a file folder where they become invisible to me, no matter how carefully or boldly I label the folder. (My own special little mental quirk!)

Great news about your LA Organizing Awards finalist status! Cheers!

Jeri Dansky said...

So glad you like them, Cynthia! And you are far from the only one with the "invisible papers" issue.

Anonymous said...

Jeri:

Congratulations on your nomination. Your blog is, by far, my favorite on organizing. You do a consistently great job finding a variety of topics to post on and always have a fantastic array of items when you feature a particular concept. Keep up the great work!

~Molly DiBianca

Jeri Dansky said...

Thanks so much, Molly!

Anonymous said...

Love the clothespin idea -- gosh one could personalize those for all sorts of things. And let me add my congratulations to you, finalist in the LA Organizing Awards. A very wise choice. Have fun!